On the eve of his proclamation, president-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has named a couple of members of the incoming cabinet of his administration. Part of the cabinet under president-elect Marcos is SMC Tollways president and chief executive officer Manuel “Manny” Bonoan, the next secretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
Manuel “Manny” Bonoan is not a stranger to DPWH. He first served under the department as the acting public works chief in 2007 under the administration of former president Arroyo. He served as the DPWH undersecretary for the Estrada and Arroyo administrations.
After serving as the acting chief, he would later become the president of Ramon Ang’s Skyway O&M Corporation where he managed the operations of tollways including Skyway, South Luzon Expressway, NAIA Expressway, the Southern Tagalog Arterial Road, and the Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway. After that, he would serve SMC Tollways as its president and chief executive officer.
Other members of the Marcos cabinet include the BSP President Benjamin Diokno as the secretary of the Department of Finance, Jesus Crispin Remulla as the Justice Secretary, Susan Ople as the secretary of the Department of Migrant Workers, Arsenio Balisacan as the head of the National Economic and Development Authority, Bievenido Laguesma as the Labor secretary, and finally, vice-president-elect Sara Duterte as the secretary of the Department of Education.
- Morales, N. J., & Dela Cruz, E. (2022, May 26). Philippines’ Marcos signals continuity ahead with New Economic Team. Reuters. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-marcos-names-new-finance-chief-cbank-governor-2022-05-26/
- Bajo, A. F. (2022, May 26). Marcos taps Fred Pascual, Manny Bonoan to lead DTI, DPWH. GMA News Online. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/topstories/nation/832922/marcos-taps-fred-pascual-manny-bonoan-to-lead-dti-dpwh/story/
- Cervantes, F. M. (2022, May 26). Marcos bares more cabinet appointees. Philippine News Agency. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1175248
- Rey, A. (2022, May 27). Marcos picks SMC tollways CEO Manuel Bonoan as Public Works secretary. RAPPLER. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://www.rappler.com/business/marcos-jr-picks-smc-tollways-ceo-manuel-bonoan-public-works-secretary/
- Domingo, K. (2022, May 26). Marcos Eyes SMC tollways chief Bonoan as DPWH chief. ABS. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/26/22/marcos-eyes-smc-tollways-chief-bonoan-as-dpwh-chief